Urban Design and Planning Studio Director, AVRP Skyport Studios, San Diego, California, (2017 – Current)
- Leading urban design and planning projects for public and private clients throughout Southern California.
Urban Design and Community Planning Manager, Michael Baker International, San Diego, California (2014 – 2017)
- Technical manager leading urban design and planning projects for public and private clients throughout North America.
Program Manager, Civic Innovation Lab, San Diego, California (2014 – 2014)
- Led the creation of a new department within the City’s Neighborhood & Economic Development.
- Department responsible for managing the process of innovation and collaboration with other city departments and community organization to cultivate civic life.
Principal and Director of Planning, PlaceMakers, LLC, United States and Canada (2006 – Current)
- A new economy company organized as a collaboration of experts to enable innovative policies and regulations for municipalities throughout North America. Project manager of calibrating and implementing award-winning policies, plans, ordinances, and consecutive-day design charrettes for both public municipalities and private developers. Recent projects include City of El Paso, TX; County of Hawaii; City of Taos, NM; and, County of San Diego, CA. http://www.placemakers.com
Principal and Managing Director, Stantec Architecture, United States and Canada (2007 – 2009)
- Led the San Diego office starting as Chong|Partners Architecture in summer of 2007, and acquired by Stantec in fall 2007. Significant local projects included the International Cross-Border Facility directly linking the San Diego region to Tijuana International Airport; Civic San Diego Open Space Master Plan; and, SANDAG’s Smart Growth Toolbox – 3D Visual Simulations. http://www.stantec.com
HB3 Urban Design / Michael J. Stepner Design Group, San Diego, California (2003 – 2006)
- Provided urban design and planning analysis, recommendations and products for a variety of public and private projects. Significant project include Crescent City, Abu Dhabi; Congress for the New Urbanism’ s Rebuilding Louisiana and Mississippi Renewal Forums (Hurricane Katrina); Tongzhou, China; and, City of San Marcos, California downtown Specific Plans.
Planner II, County of San Diego, California (2000 – 2004)
Master Planner, Jurong Town Corporation International, Singapore (1997 – 1998)
Planning Manager, Korea Architects International, Taegu, South Korea (1994 – 1996)
Planner, Stevens Planning Group, Inc., San Diego, California (1993- 1994)
Junior Planner, PBR Hawaii, Inc., Honolulu, Hawaii (1989 – 1993)
Internship, City of Austin, Texas, Dept. of Planning and Land Use (1988)
Education, Accreditations and Academic Experience
Master of Arts in Urban Design, University of Westminster, London, UK, (fall 2000)
Bachelor of Arts in Geography, University of Texas at Austin, TX (spring 1989)
Master Planning Certificate, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (summer 1999)
Public Facilitation Certificate, Institute of Cultural Affairs, San Diego, CA (2002)
Adjunct Lecturer, NewSchool of Architecture & Design, San Diego, CA (2001 – Current)
Lecturer, University of California at San Diego, San Diego, CA (2005 – 2012)
Lecturer, Woodbury School of Architecture, San Diego, CA (2003, 2014)
Accredited Member, Congress for the New Urbanism,University of Miami, FL (2009 – Current)
Fellow, Institute for Urban Design, New York, NY (2003 – 2004)